Thursday, March 6, 2008

In Loving Memory: Grandpa Johnson

Today (March 6, 2008) Grandpa Johnson passed away. Although I can only count on two hands the number of times I was able to spend with Grandpa, I have fond memories of him. One of my most vivid memories was when we took a family trip to YellowStone and we stopped in Harlem to see Grandpa's ranch and ride horses. As we were leaving Grandpa slipped me a $20.00 bill (to a 12-year old this was a lot of $$) and told me to buy everyone ice cream. So cool!!

I also remember attending a family reunion and Grandpa pulled out a little white box, which contained a pair of horse-shoe turquoise earings. He knew how much I loved having my ears pierced!! Grandpa always told me how beautiful I was and made me feel so special. Thank you Grandpa, I will miss you.

A memorial service is currently scheduled for May 10th.

2 comments:

The Wards said...

You have such a great memory. I love those sweet memories. You've had quite a crazy March! Hope all is going well with you and your family, especially during these kind of trials. You are in our prayers.

jamie lynette said...

I love the stories you guys have of Grandpa Johnson. What a fun guy!